|Georgena S. Sil
East Indian Feast
Laughter, the sounds of the sitar, and mouth-watering aromas drifted out of the Singh home during the night of Rupa Singh's potluck supper. Five women arrived one after the other with their families, each bearing a different main dish and a different dessert she had made. Can you deduce the order in which the women arrived, and determine the main dish and dessert each brought?
- Exactly one woman arrived in between the arrivals of Devaki and the one who brought tomato bhurtha.
- The woman who brought parsnip bhaji arrived sometime after Mindi, but immediately before the one who brought Parsee custard dessert.
- The woman who brought carrot halva dessert arrived sometime earlier than, but not immediately before, the one who brought vermicelli kheer dessert.
- Sakti arrived immediately after the woman who brought semolina pudding dessert, and sometime before the one who brought chapatis.
- The woman who brought lamb curry arrived sometime after Bakula.
- Almira arrived sometime before the woman (not Devaki) who brought mango chutney dessert, and immediately after the woman who brought chicken mulligatawny.